Friday, November 6, 2015

Cards from the Conroy household

I told the story last month of how posting a photoshop custom of Sean Conroy lead to an email exchange with his mom and how I was able to gift a few printouts of the fake card to Sean, and he was kind enough to sign and return 3 of them for me. But the story doesn't end there.

His mom asked if I could print out a few more copies of the card for her to give to friends and family during the holidays, and I was happy to oblige. She also told me my gesture inspired them to dig through her husband's old card collection and come up with a lot I might be interested in. We agreed to a fair price and now I've ended up with a few cards from the Conroy household, which I think is pretty cool. I know it isn't easy to part with cards you've had since the early 70s, and I really appreciate the kindness to offer them to me.

Let's take a look at the cards!


A couple nice HOFers in Killebrew and Jenkins.


Great lot of 71 stars. I think I had these in my setbuild already, but they're some nice upgrades, or failing that, PC additions. Not pictured, Earl Weaver.


And how about the two biggest name rookie cards in the set? Sweet! Never noticed the slightly similar poses on these two.


Closing it out with a few 72s. Despite the boyhood photo, I still don't believe Stargell was ever young; he was always "Pops" right? Likewise, Darrell Evans was middle-aged when he was born, I'm sure. Don't let this early photo where he's not wearing his glasses fool you. Same with Bobby Grich sans mustache.


A big thank you to the Conroy family for these cards!
Have a great weekend, everybody.

2 comments: