Friday, August 11, 2017

Celebrating with a Kirby Puckett auto

I wasn't planning on posting today, but I'm in a great mood. It's late in the day on Friday, and I got a fat raise at work today. I feel like a celebratory post is in order.

Really though, a few years ago, I was looking for a job for a looong time. Practically littered Portland with my resume. Several jobs that I would have been perfect for and I couldn't even get an interview with them motherfuckers. Hell, I even submitted an in-person application at a local burger joint and I never heard back from them. Quite demoralizing. So it's a sweet vindication to have landed this position a year and a half ago, and kicked so much ass where they're stressing how much they value me and giving me a big bump in pay to show it. Feels good!

So here's a cool card I picked up a month or so ago.

(pictured here with the Dan Fouts TTM success I got in the same day.)
I bet Kirby Puckett had his share of doubters in his time, too, being a short, stubby guy who didn't look like a typical world-class athlete. But he showed them all, putting together a HOF career with a couple WS rings before health issues forced him to retire at 35.

I re-started collecting Kirby not that long ago. Wanted to add an impressive centerpiece to the PC, and ended up deciding on this Sweet Spot auto, among the most plentiful (affordable) certified autos of his on the market. Looks great. When these faux ball pieces were signed in sharpie, the signatures tend to fade, sometimes disappear completely. But the ballpoint pen autos stick pretty well. And you gotta feel confident that it's not counterfeit, because what sorry sack of shit would want to go through all the trouble of creating a fake piece of a baseball built into a fake card. More hassle than it's worth, right?

So yeah, love this card. Brings a smile to my face everytime. Thanks for stopping bye and have a great weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I've always been a Puckett fan... he played for year at Bradley University, which is located right here in P-town!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the success at work Gavin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work, and congrats on the raise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pick up. His autos can't be too common.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the raise! Great looking Puckett!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the big raise - more money for cards! That Puckett is nice - on day I need to track one down, I loved watching that guy play.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the raise and nice score on the Puckett! I don't chase many autographs these days, but I still love the look and feel of those Sweet Spot autos. The only two I have in my collection are of Rusty Staub and Al Hrabosky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on getting a raise and acquiring that Puckett! I picked up the black ink version, but I think the blue ink looks much better.

    ReplyDelete